With 'Het Bauhaus in Rhoon' Neuhaus undertakes a study session and excursion to the Pieters residential house 'Voorbij de wegen' in Rhoon, designed by Dutch Bauhaus alumnus Jan van der Linden.
The more-than-human curriculum of Neuhaus prefigures the possible (design) education of the future, in the year in which the whole world – including the Netherlands and Rotterdam – celebrate the Bauhaus centennial. Neuhaus’ trans-disciplinary academy not only deals with abstract learning trails and grand themes such as matter, philosophy, ecology and time, but it has a local and more traditional architectural-historical component as well.
The Schiedam brothers Jan and Cees van der Linden were two of the four Dutch architecture students at the Bauhaus. They had to discontinue their studies after only two years when the Bauhaus had to close under political pressure in 1932, but still started an architectural practice of their own. After individual and joint wanderings through Latin America and Amsterdam, Jan van der Linden eventually established an architectural firm in Rotterdam and his brother Cees became a teacher at the Free School and an anthroposophy teacher at the Academy of Architecture in Amsterdam.
In the context of Neuhaus - and because Het Nieuwe Instituut recently acquired archive material from the second Van der Linden brother for its collection – it hosts a study session at the Study Centre, followed by an excursion to the Pieters house 'Voorbij de wegen' in Rhoon, designed by Jan van der Linden.
- 10.30 Participants gather at Het Nieuwe Instituut
- From 11.00 Presentations with Bauhaus collection material in Het Nieuwe Instituut’s Study Centre
- 11.00- 11.05 Introduction Hetty Berens
- 11.05- 11.15 Memories of Jan van der Linden, by Mr. Dolf van Aalderen (with donated archive material of brother Cees van der Linden's lessons at the Bauhaus)
- 11.15 - 11.35 Oeuvre and meaning of Jan van der Linden by Roxanna Brands
- 11.35- 11.50 Cees van der Leeuw and Walter Gropius in Rotterdam by Mr. Leonard Kooy.
- 11.50 Gathering for departure by bus to Rhoon
- 12.30 Arrival Rhoon
- 12.30- 13.30 Lunch in garden Rhoon
- 13.30 Guided tours of the house in groups
- 15.00 Departure by bus back to Rotterdam.
'Het Bauhaus in Rhoon' takes place during the Day of Architecture 2019. This is an activity in collaboration with the Chabot Museum and the Van Nellefabriek World Heritage Foundation.
Het Nieuwe Instituut
3015 CB Rotterdam
Studenten, CJP, Vrienden en Members van Het Nieuwe Instituut€ 3,75